Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Update and Other Nonsense

Well, Sadie is still acting scared on some mornings. I still don't know what the problem is though. I think it might be because I am getting ready for work. This all started after I went away for a weekend. So maybe she is just remembering that? Or it's just her remembering the morning when the carbon monoxide detector was beeping. I try to ignore it as much as I can. She calms down when we are in our bedroom, but if I get up, she will follow me and stay as close as possible. It just makes me sad, but I think she is okay.

Another fun thing that has resurfaced...when we go out for walks now (because the weather has cooled down), Sadie will decide she doesn't want to go inside. So she just lays down on the sidewalk, the grass, or the street and refuses to move. She just looks at me when I reprimand her. And if I pull on her leash, she contorts her head so her collar comes off (and the collar isn't loose). I try picking her up, and she lays right back down. It's really frustrating. I know this is clearly because Sadie thinks she's in charge. Unfortunately for the most part, she is. I just don't know how to get her to stop this, or to just listen to me! She does this to my aunt and uncle, too, but she seems to listen to them more when they say no.

Other than that, I've been really busy with work and school, but this past weekend we went to the dog park. Sadie was very excited! It has been awhile, because it was so hot this summer. She started crying when we got close to the park. I even let her swim in the lake for a little bit...but then I gave her a bath right when we got home. She wasn't too thrilled about the latter. Hope everyone is doing well. I can't believe it's October...and the weather is getting so cool :( Do not want winter!

7 comments:

  1. awww...im so sorry sadie isn't doing better. i don't know what is wrong. poor baby. maybe the change in weather will help her mood, which will start to make her feel more comfotable again. sammy does that stuff outside. he totally enjoys sniffing and sniffing and sniffing. enough is enough, so when i pull on the leash to get him going, it makes him more and more stubborn tugging back. he's such a turkey. he has also learned to overcome the collar when he feels it's necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww poor Sadie :( *hugs* to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor girl, have you tried talking to a vet just in case? If you have a check-up coming up, make sure to mention it. Not to scare you or anything, but sometimes weird behaviors can spring up from medical issues too. Has she started eating more comfortably at least?

    You might be right that your trip could have had an effect, and she could be developing a minor separation anxiety. You might want to work on her a little bit with it, just simple exercises where you leave to take out the trash or something else minor. Assure her that you'll be back very soon, give her a nice cookie before you leave, and another when you come back. Make sure the before cookie is given before she starts acting out though because otherwise she might think you are rewarding her anxious behavior. I've always given Philip a treat when I leave, and he actually gets kind of excited - "Oh, mom is about to leave, awesome, I get a treat, hurry up and go already!".

    For the walking/collar thing, try getting her a harness - they are harder to get out of :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    I guess I feel like it is separation anxiety, because she doesn't seem to do this on the weekends. How she knows the difference between the days, I have no idea haha, but she does! She already had her check up at the vet...but I was thinking of checking in with them again.

    She'll only eat breakfast if I put something good in it now. Which isn't really great. I stopped giving her breakfast for the most part, and just give her a little more at dinner. She eats her dinner no problem. So basically she only acts this way in the morning. Once I am home for the night, she is fine. I think she just knows how to make me feel bad and is working that angle lol.

    I've tried the harness, too, but with that she just refuses to move. She can't get out of it, but she will just lay there lol. BRAT! Are all corgis so damn stubborn?

    I'll try everyone's suggestions and just keep monitoring her. She sure knows how to increase my anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herman will get stubborn on walks and refuse to move also. I haven't figured out how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL read your comments, yep corgis are that stubborn. Did you try to entice her into the house with a treat? I know its a bribe but it might work. I think I might just pick her up and carry her inside if she doesn't want to come on her own. I tell you, these dogs are smarter than we are!

    no good advice here...good luck!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, poor Sadie...

    and yes corgis are all that stubborn :-) the beauty of having a smart doggie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...